SMART menswear opens in Market Gates Shopping Centre
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A suit sales stalwart with over 20 years of retail experience has stepped out on his own to launch a new business venture in the town centre.
Steve Greenslade has a wealth of knowledge in the fashion fray, having worked for Tesco, John Lewis and formalwear specialists Greenwoods over his career.
But now, after calling Great Yarmouth his home for nine years, he has opened the doors to his own business offering top name brands.
“I worked at Greenwoods for eight years,” Steve, 51, said. “I had a great team, we worked so effectively to bring the store to being in the highest grade among the 87 stores countrywide - and this continued for six years.
“But when changes were made within Greenwoods, I saw it as an opportunity to move on and capitalise on the name I had established for myself personally.”
Now, Steve is looking forward to life with his new store, SMART Menswear, which opened in Market Gates Shopping Centre on Friday.
“We took on the shop in Market Gates because we wanted to create a good location, with good footfall, that people can come to whatever the weather.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 4 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 5 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 6 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 7 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 8 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
- 9 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 10 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
“We’re close to Debenhams and the car park, it’s ideal.”
And Steve has confidence in how his business will perform in the town centre.
“I have belief that this town can re-establish itself as a retail outlet,” he said.
“Market Gates has proved that with its own footfall. When we first started looking there were four empty units here and now they’re all full, so they must see the same potential that I do.”
SMART opened this morning, with Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis cutting the ribbon and all enjoying a glass of champagne.
“What sets us apart is our customer service, which is second to none. We focus on giving the customer what they want, and we’ll get them whatever product they’re looking for. In a bigger shop, it is less personal and can take a long time to order stuff in - if it’s possible at all.”
SMART offers a number of top fashion brands, along with suits and a range of retro clothing aimed at the mod scene.
The new store also has two concessions in Nicola Miller New York Dresses and Old Guys Rule.
For more information, see www.smart-menswear.co.uk