SOS plea for Yarmouth family centre
A CONTACT centre at Gorleston that helps separated parents to stay in touch with their children could close unless a new co-ordinator can be found.Yarmouth Family Contact Centre, based at the Shrublands Centre in Magdalen Way, no longer has anyone in the post after Liz Armstrong left because of ill health.
A CONTACT centre at Gorleston that helps separated parents to stay in touch with their children could close unless a new co-ordinator can be found.
Yarmouth Family Contact Centre, based at the Shrublands Centre in Magdalen Way, no longer has anyone in the post after Liz Armstrong left because of ill health.
Nicky Riseborough, a partner at Lucas and Wyllys solicitors in Great Yarmouth, says families will have to go to other centres at Lowestoft and Norwich if the centre shuts.
“Some of our clients would find it difficult to travel to Norwich, having to travel 40 minutes there and back on the train. There are clearly families that need assistance from a centre in their own area. It could mean absent parents would not be able to see child-ren within the local area but would have to go somewhere else,” she warned.
You may also want to watch:
The centre provides a safe haven for children living with one parent to meet the other parent every fortnight on a Saturday in a neutral environ-ment. All volunteers running the centre are trained, and families are referred by solicitors in the borough.
Mrs Armstrong said high-lights of her 11 years as co-ordinator included Christ-mas parties at the centre, when the children were thrilled to be visited by Santa. She said great satisfaction came from knowing they were keeping family members together.
- 1 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 2 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 3 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Work on Great Yarmouth's Third River Crossing 'progressing well'
- 6 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 7 Great Yarmouth church to receive £300k grant
- 8 Man caught drying cannabis he had stolen from father-in-law
- 9 Family finally get 'emotional' reunion with woman dumped at care home
- 10 Picture special: Fire on the Water thrills crowds
To find out more about the role call 01493 603728.