SOS plea for Yarmouth family centre
A CONTACT centre at Gorleston that helps separated parents to stay in touch with their children could close unless a new co-ordinator can be found.Yarmouth Family Contact Centre, based at the Shrublands Centre in Magdalen Way, no longer has anyone in the post after Liz Armstrong left because of ill health.
A CONTACT centre at Gorleston that helps separated parents to stay in touch with their children could close unless a new co-ordinator can be found.
Yarmouth Family Contact Centre, based at the Shrublands Centre in Magdalen Way, no longer has anyone in the post after Liz Armstrong left because of ill health.
Nicky Riseborough, a partner at Lucas and Wyllys solicitors in Great Yarmouth, says families will have to go to other centres at Lowestoft and Norwich if the centre shuts.
“Some of our clients would find it difficult to travel to Norwich, having to travel 40 minutes there and back on the train. There are clearly families that need assistance from a centre in their own area. It could mean absent parents would not be able to see child-ren within the local area but would have to go somewhere else,” she warned.
The centre provides a safe haven for children living with one parent to meet the other parent every fortnight on a Saturday in a neutral environ-ment. All volunteers running the centre are trained, and families are referred by solicitors in the borough.
Mrs Armstrong said high-lights of her 11 years as co-ordinator included Christ-mas parties at the centre, when the children were thrilled to be visited by Santa. She said great satisfaction came from knowing they were keeping family members together.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 6 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 7 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 8 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 9 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 10 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
To find out more about the role call 01493 603728.