Great Yarmouth church to receive £300k grant
- Credit: Brian Lafferty
A church in Great Yarmouth is to receive nearly £300,000 for vital repairs.
St Mary's Catholic Church on Regent Road will be awarded £298,132 from the government's Culture Recovery Fund in order to carry out important restorations to maintain the place of worship.
Brian Lafferty, chairman of the church's finance committee, said the grant will be put towards restoring the 1850s roof which was repaired with concrete in the 1960s - which unintentionally caused more issues for the structure.
Mr Lafferty said: "We were elated when we found out how much was being given to us.
"It's a dream come true.
"We know there are quite a lot of issues with the roof, but we can't say for certain until it comes off though.
"But once the roof is fixed, we can then focus on the inside and make it better not just for the Catholic community, but for everyone."
- 1 Concern for missing Great Yarmouth man
- 2 School defends Covid policy
- 3 Do you remember when these celebrities visited Great Yarmouth?
- 4 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 5 Plan for new 30 affordable houses in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Car park closed after more erosion at Winterton
- 7 You can help keep Gorleston safe by joining CCTV team
- 8 Banned drink driver led Great Yarmouth police on chase
- 9 Former school, day centres and farm could be sold by council
- 10 Great Yarmouth set to be transformed into a winter wonderland once again
The repairs are expected to be completed by April 2022.