Stokesby pensioners left in the dark

ELDERLY residents are fuming over a mix-up that has meant the walkways between their homes were plunged into darkness and left them fearing for their safety.

ELDERLY residents are fuming over a mix-up that has meant the walkways between their homes were plunged into darkness and left them fearing for their safety.

The group of seven council-owned Stokesby-based bungalows, named Ferry Court, have been without outside lighting for more than a month after the meter that fed their walkway lamps was accidently removed.

The mistake, made on April 6, meant that an attempt to remove one home's meter to check it wasn't overcharging its tenant resulted in the removal of the meter controlling lighting to two lamps illuminating the court space.

Ann Bacon, 67, said: “We are all just fed up with this whole situation and now the borough council keep passing the buck - I feel like we're in limbo at the moment.”

Mrs Bacon said that, following the mistake, she had been in contact with the relevant electricity companies, the borough council and GYB Services to get something done - but to no avail.

“I've been promised calls back but none has come, and you have to worry about the safety of the people here when it is night and dark outside.”

Most Read

Denis Gilbert, director of community housing at the borough council, accepted that it was the council's responsibility to chase up the issue.

He said: “I suspect that when it was reported, the person assumed there was a fault on the light, rather than with the meter, and sent it through for repair.”