Street fall death - inquest

PUBLISHED: 17:49 22 January 2008 | UPDATED: 10:19 03 July 2010

AN ambulance crew who assessed a pensioner who fell over after leaving a Great Yarmouth pub and died two days later from head injures did not receive the correct information on how serious his injuries were, an inquest heard today .

AN ambulance crew who assessed a pensioner who fell over after leaving a Great Yarmouth pub and died two days later from head injures did not receive the correct information on how serious his injuries were, an inquest heard today .

Henry Purnell was found laying in the street unconscious near the Duke of Wellington pub on Friday, February 2 last year and died in the James Paget University Hospital 48 hours later.

An on-going inquest heard that emergency medical technicians did not know the 77-year-old of Marine Parade had been found unconscious and that if they had realised, they might have provided a fuller assessment of his head injury.

After carrying out an on-street appraisal of the former steel erector's condition, the crew were happy to hand Mr Purnell over to four police who put him into custody on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

Several hours later a police doctor told officers to take Mr Purnell to hospital where he subsequently died.

A post mortem revealed the Mr Purnell's's brain had suffered severe bruising, cuts and haemorrhaging.

An inquest jury heard that the ambulance crew attended the incident in St Peter's Road at about 5.50pm and tried to treat Mr Purnell who fended them off by thrashing his arms about.

Emergency technicians Emma Hicks and Michael Warner were only able to assess Mr Purnell's head injury after police were called in to calm him down.

Both crew members told the jury they had not received full information on a 999 call which said Mr Purnell was unconscious and said they just believed a man had been found lying in the street.

Ms Hicks said if she had known that Mr Purnell had been knocked out by his fall she would have carried out more checks on the unco-operative patient in her ambulance before considering letting him go.

When she arrived on the scene, Ms Hicks said that Mr Purnell, who had drunk six pints in the pub, appeared conscious, only had a small dried cut to the back of his head, had a normal heart rate and was breathing normally.

Ms Hicks said: “He was laughing and kept calling me 'lovely lady'. He said he would be alright and wanted to stay there (in the road).

But she added: “He started thrashing out with his arms.”

The crew called in police to deal with Mr Purnell, who agreed that an on-street examination could be carried out on his head.

They were satisfied their patient did not appear to be badly injured and allowed him to go with four officers.

Marcus Bailey, ambulance trust manager, said he did not know why the two crew had not received the proper information from their control room as it “was best practice” to read all dispatches notices.

Mr Bailey said that perhaps the crew were too busy getting equipment ready for the incident or were concentrating on their route.

The inquest is expected to last until Friday.

Other News

It was a case of Christmas come early for a number of youngsters at a Norfolk hospital who met their footballing heroes.

Libraries around Norfolk are inviting people in for free tea and a friendly chat to help combat loneliness.

For one 16-year-old boy from Norfolk, Thursday, December 6 started like any other weekday.

A delayed motion looking to reduce period poverty in the Great Yarmouth borough is to be discussed once more by councillors.

Most Read

Yesterday, 18:00

School trips usually involve taking children to see one of Shakespeare’s great plays or visiting a historic museum.

Read more

Plans for a former pub to be turned into a luxury tobacconist have been put under fire by a nearby health centre, with bosses arguing it would “give out entirely the wrong message”.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:42

Would you like to play a major part in restoring one of Great Yarmouth’s most historic tourist attractions to its former glory?

Read more
Great Yarmouth Borough Council
Yesterday, 09:21

A joyrider was arrested after crashing into a traffic bollard - and was found to be more than three times the legal driving limit when police breathalysed him.

Read more
Great Yarmouth police
Yesterday, 16:38

Tears of joy streamed down the face of staff members who watched the magical moment a woman, who was left paralysed by a stroke, stood on her own two feet for the first time in 15 years.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 1°C

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy