Great Yarmouth primary school councillors join mayor for debate
- Credit: Archant
Councillors from a Great Yarmouth primary school joined the mayor for a debate at the Town Hall.
No less than 28 school council members from Great Yarmouth Primary Academy, from reception right up to year 6, spent the day learning about the workings of local democracy last Thursday.
Former mayor, councillor Barry Coleman, gave the children a behind the scenes tour of the historic building and current mayor, councillor Mary Coleman, joined them for a debate.
The children discussed the motion of school uniform and whether it is a good thing.
Mrs Coleman said: “I was very impressed with the children’s behaviour and politeness.”
You may also want to watch:
Sue Chater, link teacher for the school council, said: “I was very proud of the children as they conducted a public debate for the first time – they were a credit to our school.
“They really enjoyed it and some said that it was their best day ever.”
- 1 Woman in her 60s dies following Gorleston fire
- 2 Police and fire crews at house blaze next to hospital
- 3 Flooded road causes disruption to bus services and drivers
- 4 Traffic delays on major road due to burst water main
- 5 Jaguar driver admits causing crash which left man needing 'life-saving' surgery
- 6 Inquests open into deaths of two men missing since speedboat tragedy in 2014
- 7 'No mask, no entry' - Cinema defends policy after turning away customers
- 8 Fire crews rush to car blaze on A47
- 9 Room with a dragon's view: Inside Norfolk's first wizard-themed hotel
- 10 Will Gorleston's splashpad open this summer?