Student rides unicycle to help in Nepal
A STUDENT has been inspired to spend his summer holiday helping people in one of the world's poorest countries.Robbie Bennett is part of a team preparing to take part in the seven-week charity project in rural Nepal.
A STUDENT has been inspired to spend his summer holiday helping people in one of the world's poorest countries.
Robbie Bennett is part of a team preparing to take part in the seven-week charity project in rural Nepal.
This summer, the 20-year- old will be swapping life in his home town of Stalham for the foothills of the Himalayas. Living and working with a Nepalese family, Robbie will be helping to improve life for people in the tea-producing town of Ilam.
A former student at East Norfolk Sixth Form College, he is studying physics at Bristol University.
You may also want to watch:
Robbie decided to take part in the project for Bristol Volunteers Overseas following a talk by one of the charity's representatives at the university.
He said: “Part of our work will be tackling the causes of illnesses such as diarrhoea and anaemia by introducing sustainable technology.
- 1 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 2 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 3 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 4 Norwich City legends play football against dementia
- 5 Pleasure Beach's tropical event ready to launch - and free macs if it rains
- 6 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 7 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
“Last year, a group of students helped construct toilet blocks, a playground and school classrooms.
“I have been travelling before but now I feel I want to make a difference and get involved instead of just looking in from the outside.”
Robbie has raised �650 for building materials and educational resources and is riding a unicycle in the Bristol 10km race to help boost the total.
Donations can be made at www.CAFonline.org/charityprofile/bvda or e-mail email@example.com.