Student rides unicycle to help in Nepal
A STUDENT has been inspired to spend his summer holiday helping people in one of the world's poorest countries.Robbie Bennett is part of a team preparing to take part in the seven-week charity project in rural Nepal.
A STUDENT has been inspired to spend his summer holiday helping people in one of the world's poorest countries.
Robbie Bennett is part of a team preparing to take part in the seven-week charity project in rural Nepal.
This summer, the 20-year- old will be swapping life in his home town of Stalham for the foothills of the Himalayas. Living and working with a Nepalese family, Robbie will be helping to improve life for people in the tea-producing town of Ilam.
A former student at East Norfolk Sixth Form College, he is studying physics at Bristol University.
You may also want to watch:
Robbie decided to take part in the project for Bristol Volunteers Overseas following a talk by one of the charity's representatives at the university.
He said: “Part of our work will be tackling the causes of illnesses such as diarrhoea and anaemia by introducing sustainable technology.
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 3 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 4 Nine cars damaged in overnight spree in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Woman, 29, gets cervical cancer all-clear after lockdown shock
- 6 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 7 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 8 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 9 Drone captures unique view of Norfolk landmark
- 10 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
“Last year, a group of students helped construct toilet blocks, a playground and school classrooms.
“I have been travelling before but now I feel I want to make a difference and get involved instead of just looking in from the outside.”
Robbie has raised �650 for building materials and educational resources and is riding a unicycle in the Bristol 10km race to help boost the total.
Donations can be made at www.CAFonline.org/charityprofile/bvda or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.