Mystery pong removed from Tesco store following ‘deep clean’
- Credit: Archant
A mystery smell which was putting shoppers off visiting a village supermarket has been removed.
The Tesco express in Belton was temporarily closed for a couple of hours on Thursday evening to allow a "deep clean" of the premises to take place.
A spokesman for Tesco said the pong has now been removed with the store open as usual.
Customers took to social media on Wednesday to raise awareness of the odour which was described as "foul", "disgusting" and "vile".
Julie George said it put her off buying anything in the store, which sits in a block of shops and takeaways on Bell Lane.
You may also want to watch:
Emma King commented: "I feel sorry for the poor staff. Just been in there and it's worse than normal."
The smell was perceptible on Thursday afternoon, stronger in some parts of the store than others.
- 1 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
- 2 Firefighters rescue man trapped in crane
- 3 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Cash and jewellery stolen in Gorleston burglary
- 6 Covid-19 vaccine: who will get it, when and how?
- 7 Ho, ho...go! Santa sleigh run going ahead with rule of six
- 8 'One of the most generous people' - Family pays tribute to town 'legend'
- 9 Least used railway station in Britain is in Norfolk
- 10 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49