Norwich and Great Yarmouth music shops to close as owner moves online
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A music shop chain with stores in Norwich and Great Yarmouth is to close all of its sites as it moves the business online.
That's Entertainment, which has a shop in Castle Mall and had one in Market Gates shopping centre, will be disappearing from the high street after owner Entertainment Magpie revealed it had 'regretfully' decided to close all of its 29 outlets by the end of May.
In a statement the firm said online sales continued to drive the UK business with sales through its retail estate making up just 10% of its turnover and had declined by 20% in the last year.
The statement said: 'This is very much reflective of the current challenges being experienced on the high street, with the modern-day consumer shopping more and more online.'
Entertainment Magpie, which also owns website MusicMagpie, said it is the biggest seller in the world on both Amazon and Ebay and its online store had helped it achieve 25% year-on-year growth in online sales in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
The company refused to confirm how many jobs were affected by the decision but said the Market Gates store had closed early due to staff finding alternative employment.
- 1 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 2 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 3 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 4 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
- 5 Gorleston high street closed this week for emergency gas works
- 6 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 7 They started life in lockdown - but how are these businesses doing now?
- 8 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 9 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk