Search

Three flee Hemsby house fire

PUBLISHED: 12:53 26 May 2008 | UPDATED: 11:07 03 July 2010

A mother and her two young children had a lucky escape after their Hemsby home was gutted by fire yesterday afternoon.

The woman and youngsters managed to flee safely from their single storey home after a candle started a fire in a bedroom.

A mother and her two young children had a lucky escape after their Hemsby home was gutted by fire yesterday afternoon.

The woman and youngsters managed to flee safely from their single storey home after a candle started a fire in a bedroom.

Although the woman and children, who are of primary school age, were uninjured, the interior of their home was destroyed and they had to be looked after by the fire emergency support unit manned by Red Cross volunteers.

More than 20 firefighters tackled the blaze in Fakes Road after the fire broke out at about 1pm.

Fire crews from Martham and Great Yarmouth originally attended the incident but they had to call in crews from Gorleston to help provide water to dowse the inferno. It took 30 minutes for the fire to be put out.

Mark Johnson, watch manager at Martham, said the fire was started by a candle and it was “lucky” for the family that the blaze had not started during the night as the outcome may have been fatal.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

$render.recurse($ctx, '$content.code.value')

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury