Three flee Hemsby house fire
A mother and her two young children had a lucky escape after their Hemsby home was gutted by fire yesterday afternoon.The woman and youngsters managed to flee safely from their single storey home after a candle started a fire in a bedroom.
A mother and her two young children had a lucky escape after their Hemsby home was gutted by fire yesterday afternoon.
The woman and youngsters managed to flee safely from their single storey home after a candle started a fire in a bedroom.
Although the woman and children, who are of primary school age, were uninjured, the interior of their home was destroyed and they had to be looked after by the fire emergency support unit manned by Red Cross volunteers.
More than 20 firefighters tackled the blaze in Fakes Road after the fire broke out at about 1pm.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from Martham and Great Yarmouth originally attended the incident but they had to call in crews from Gorleston to help provide water to dowse the inferno. It took 30 minutes for the fire to be put out.
Mark Johnson, watch manager at Martham, said the fire was started by a candle and it was “lucky” for the family that the blaze had not started during the night as the outcome may have been fatal.
- 1 Man released on bail following Gorleston murder arrest
- 2 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 3 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 4 Tiny dog almost loses leg after stepping on broken glass
- 5 Former town centre pub set to become flats
- 6 Vacant bar, restaurant and hotel sells at auction
- 7 Opening date confirmed for new Sports Direct in town's former M&S
- 8 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 9 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 10 Man stabbed victim in chest with screwdriver at cemetery