A FATHER and son duo from Bradwell swept the board at a top butchery event.The successes came at the recent East of England Roadshow and Product Evaluation Event, which sets out to find the best meat products made and sold by butchers in the region.
A FATHER and son duo from Bradwell swept the board at a top butchery event.
The successes came at the recent East of England Roadshow and Product Evaluation Event, which sets out to find the best meat products made and sold by butchers in the region.
Father and son Andrew and Ryan Edmonds of Bradwell Butchery entered an impressive total of 11 products and took home the category champion title in four categories, including the hugely popular Young Sausage Maker category.
Ryan Edmonds had success with his Beef, Beer and Horseradish Sausage, while his father claimed three other category title wins with his Mediterranean Lamb Sausage, Hand Raised Pork Pie and Smoked Back Bacon.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan, a 17 year-old college student who is planning to join the family business after his studies, said: “I have been helping my dad out in the shop for a couple of years and really enjoy butchery, so I'm looking forward to joining the business. My younger sister was actually awarded the Young Sausage Maker title the year before last, so I knew I had to submit a product that would match hers and luckily it did!”
Andrew added: “It's such a great achievement for Ryan, myself and all the other staff who have helped to produce such wonderful products. The highlight for me though was triumphing with the Hand Raised Pork Pie.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 How Great Yarmouth are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Bid for new affordable homes on 'eyesore' site in Gorleston
- 4 New vintage store opens bigger premises
- 5 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 6 N-Dubz themed bottomless brunch announced for Norfolk
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 8 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 9 Mother-of-two takes over slumber party business
- 10 Picture special: Fire on the Water thrills crowds
“We entered it for evaluation two years ago and won a gold award but the judges made a comment about the pastry and it got me thinking. So we altered the pastry recipe and also started making our own pork lard to see if that would make a difference, and it did! It really goes to show that the constructive criticism you get from the judges does help and is invaluable.”
The gold awards won by Bradwell Butchery were for their products pork and herb sausage; Mediterranean lamb sausage; hand raised pork pie; steak pie; smoked back bacon; smoked streaky bacon; beef, beer and horseradish sausage; pork, tomato and cracked pepper sausage.
The roadshow was held in Peterborough.