Top Tory's pledges during Yarmouth visit
The senior Conservative responsible for transport pledged yesterday to reform and improve the region's railway system.But after promising to bring Network Rail and other rail companies to account, Theresa Villiers could not guarantee that the dualling of the A11 and the Acle Straight would take place if her party was elected.
The senior Conservative responsible for transport pledged yesterday to reform and improve the region's railway system.
But after promising to bring Network Rail and other rail companies to account, Theresa Villiers could not guarantee that the dualling of the A11 and the Acle Straight would take place if her party was elected.
Mrs Villiers' comments came during a whistle stop tour of Great Yarmouth where she heard about a campaign to revitalise the town's rundown station.
As she heard about the 'Fix Our Station' campaign, Mrs Villiers said her party would improve Norfolk rail users' experiences by reforming Network Rail so it would focus on customers.
You may also want to watch:
They would also make it easier to remove rail operators and provide money towards improving stations to attract more users.
Mrs Villiers said: “Having a strong reliable railway network is important not only to Yarmouth, but to the country as a whole.”
- 1 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 2 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 3 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Yarmouth bridge will not lift until March 2022 as upgrade works delayed
- 6 Vacant Game store hosts walk-in Covid test centre
- 7 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 8 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 9 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 10 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
Although Mrs Villiers agreed with the Conservative candidate for Yarmouth, Brandon Lewis, about the need to improve Yarmouth's road infrastructure system by building a third river crossing, she could not commit to improvement work on the A11 and A47 Acle Straight.