Tot spiked by drug needle on beach
A toddler's treat trip to the seaside turned into a nightmare when she was spiked by a dumped drug needle as she played with her bucket and spade.Two-year-old Millie Parkins spent four hours in hospital and faces more tests after the incident on Sunday on the sandy stretch close to the Sea Life Centre, cafes and shops in Great Yarmouth.
A toddler's treat trip to the seaside turned into a nightmare when she was spiked by a dumped drug needle as she played with her bucket and spade.
Two-year-old Millie Parkins spent four hours in hospital and faces more tests after the incident on Sunday on the sandy stretch close to the Sea Life Centre, cafes and shops in Great Yarmouth.
Now her shocked mother Emma Sikora, 29, wants to highlight the hidden dangers that could be lurking in popular playspots and is calling for more cleaning and patrols.
Mrs Sikora, a police officer from Hemel Hempstead, said she could not praise enough the actions of paramedics and a nearby caf� owner on what she described as the most terrible day of her life.
Graham Plant, cabinet member for tourism at Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said he shared her revulsion, adding: “It is absolutely gut-wrenching. I am really upset that someone could be injured on a Yarmouth beach in this way. I am sure it is a one off and I do not think we will be hearing of this again - although I realise this doesn't help the mother of this young child.”
Mr Plant said early sunshine had tempted more people to the beaches than was usual at this time of year. He stressed that keeping the beaches clean was a high priority and that the council would be keeping a close eye on them on a very frequent basis.
- 1 Great Yarmouth's model village Banksy sold at auction
- 2 What's happening with Great Yarmouth's £4.7m market revamp?
- 3 Man avoids jail for entering ex-partner's home in court order breach
- 4 Yarmouth market's pea and pie stall holder to retire
- 5 Weightlifter abused hospital staff after five day drinking binge
- 6 Hotel boss drove to pick up son from school while banned
- 7 'It has saved my life' - Mandalay food bank users' despair at closure
- 8 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 9 E-scooter rider who collided with child among 21 banned in trial
- 10 Former pub and nightclub up for auction in Great Yarmouth
Millie's family, including her dad Marcus Parkins and her grandparents, were enjoying a weekend break at Waveney River Centre, Burgh St Peter. Having visited Norwich and Southwold they were keen to have a day of child-focused activity and headed to Yarmouth.
Mrs Sikora said: “My daughter was collecting pebbles and she pulled her hand up and there was a needle stuck in it. She has had to have blood tests for Hepatitis B and HIV although the risks are minimal and we will have to wait up to six months for the results.
“You do not go to the beach and expect a child to be spiked. She is just two years old and to be put through all this and to have to have an Aids test is horrible. It was the most terrible day of my life. I just want people to know there could be hidden dangers.”