Tot spiked by drug needle on beach
A toddler's treat trip to the seaside turned into a nightmare when she was spiked by a dumped drug needle as she played with her bucket and spade.Two-year-old Millie Parkins spent four hours in hospital and faces more tests after the incident on Sunday on the sandy stretch close to the Sea Life Centre, cafes and shops in Great Yarmouth.
A toddler's treat trip to the seaside turned into a nightmare when she was spiked by a dumped drug needle as she played with her bucket and spade.
Two-year-old Millie Parkins spent four hours in hospital and faces more tests after the incident on Sunday on the sandy stretch close to the Sea Life Centre, cafes and shops in Great Yarmouth.
Now her shocked mother Emma Sikora, 29, wants to highlight the hidden dangers that could be lurking in popular playspots and is calling for more cleaning and patrols.
Mrs Sikora, a police officer from Hemel Hempstead, said she could not praise enough the actions of paramedics and a nearby caf� owner on what she described as the most terrible day of her life.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Plant, cabinet member for tourism at Great Yarmouth Borough Council, said he shared her revulsion, adding: “It is absolutely gut-wrenching. I am really upset that someone could be injured on a Yarmouth beach in this way. I am sure it is a one off and I do not think we will be hearing of this again - although I realise this doesn't help the mother of this young child.”
Mr Plant said early sunshine had tempted more people to the beaches than was usual at this time of year. He stressed that keeping the beaches clean was a high priority and that the council would be keeping a close eye on them on a very frequent basis.
- 1 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 2 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 3 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 4 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 5 Retired teacher took his own life ahead of abuse court case, inquest hears
- 6 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 9 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 10 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
Millie's family, including her dad Marcus Parkins and her grandparents, were enjoying a weekend break at Waveney River Centre, Burgh St Peter. Having visited Norwich and Southwold they were keen to have a day of child-focused activity and headed to Yarmouth.
Mrs Sikora said: “My daughter was collecting pebbles and she pulled her hand up and there was a needle stuck in it. She has had to have blood tests for Hepatitis B and HIV although the risks are minimal and we will have to wait up to six months for the results.
“You do not go to the beach and expect a child to be spiked. She is just two years old and to be put through all this and to have to have an Aids test is horrible. It was the most terrible day of my life. I just want people to know there could be hidden dangers.”