Town Hall party for winning Bloaters
TITLE winners Great Yarmouth Football Club are being honoured with a civic reception next week.The team will officially celebrate being crowned the Ridgeons League Division One champions at the Town Hall on Thursday evening.
TITLE winners Great Yarmouth Football Club are being honoured with a civic reception next week.
The team will officially celebrate being crowned the Ridgeons League Division One champions at the Town Hall on Thursday evening.
Players, coaches and club officials have been invited to the reception by Yarmouth mayor Tony Smith, a life long Bloaters' fan.
Cllr Smith said: “I first went to a Yarmouth match with my dad when I was three or four years old and have been a supporter ever since. Whenever anyone wins anything it is worth celebrating and it is right that we should recognise the side's achievement.”
You may also want to watch:
Town clinched the first ever promotion in their 113-year history with a 3-2 victory over Suffolk side Whitton United on Saturday.
The club, famous for having the world's oldest football stand, will be back in the Ridgeons Premier Division next season for the first time in eight years.
- 1 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Council pay out six claims to drivers after car park ramp damaged vehicles
- 4 Neighbours oppose off-licence over crime fears
- 5 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
- 6 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
- 7 Drug dealer who targeted young people in Great Yarmouth jailed
- 8 'So proud' - School staff clap for children to mark 'phenomenal' work
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
It will be an occasion to savour for first team manager Paul Tong, the club's second longest serving manager, who returned to the Wellesley Road hot-seat at the start of the season.
He said: “Much of the credit must go to the chairman Stephen Brierley and other members of the coaching staff. Lots of work has gone on behind the scenes.”
Yarmouth supporters have been invited to greet the team who will gather on the Town Hall balcony at 7pm.