Town’s Poppy Shop opens
- Credit: Archant
Great Yarmouth’s annual Poppy Appeal will launch tomorrow, Saturday, from a new base in the Market Place – thanks to the support of the borough council.
Every year, volunteers from the local branch of the Royal British Legion and the wider community distribute the iconic poppies and collect thousands of pounds to help support the organisation’s vital work, while remembering the fallen.
Volunteers man entrances of local supermarkets and also distribute boxes of poppies and collection tins to businesses. The hub is the temporary Poppy Shop, where people can make donations and get poppies in different mediums, wreaths and crosses.
When the council heard the volunteers had not yet been unable to secure the usual location for the shop, with time running out, it offered an empty unit on the Market Place, opposite Bon Marche.
Yarmouth RBL branch chairman Paul Williams said: “We are very grateful to Great Yarmouth Borough Council for providing the space for the Poppy Shop, which is central to our operation.
“The people of Great Yarmouth are extremely generous. Last year, £39,000 was raised in the area alone, and there was further money raised in Caister, Martham and Ormesby, which have their own branches.”
The Poppy Shop will be in the Market Place for about a month, from Monday to Saturday, opening from 10am to 4pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and 10am to 3pm on the other days.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 Gorleston traders remain positive despite cost of living crisis
See next week’s Mercury for a full list of events to mark Remembrance.