Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- Credit: Julie Sherwood/Sarah Hazell
A VW camper van was destroyed after it caught fire on the A47.
It happened on the road at Hopton-on-Sea, between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, on Monday afternoon.
Fire crews from Gorleston and Great Yarmouth were called to the scene at 1.48pm.
They spent more than an hour tackling the blaze while using hose reel jets and wearing breathing apparatus, before the stop message came in at 2.57pm.
An eye-witness said the incident caused severe delays in both directions, with "no traffic movement in either direction for over 30 minutes".
Photos taken of the blue camper van in the aftermath of the fire show the damage done to the classic vehicle.
The entire interior appears to have been destroyed, while several windows seem to be missing.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
And much of the outer bodywork is charred with black soot, while in places the paintwork has peeled away completely.