Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- Credit: Julie Sherwood/Sarah Hazell
A VW camper van was destroyed after it caught fire on the A47.
It happened on the road at Hopton-on-Sea, between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, on Monday afternoon.
Fire crews from Gorleston and Great Yarmouth were called to the scene at 1.48pm.
They spent more than an hour tackling the blaze while using hose reel jets and wearing breathing apparatus, before the stop message came in at 2.57pm.
An eye-witness said the incident caused severe delays in both directions, with "no traffic movement in either direction for over 30 minutes".
You may also want to watch:
Photos taken of the blue camper van in the aftermath of the fire show the damage done to the classic vehicle.
The entire interior appears to have been destroyed, while several windows seem to be missing.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Mayor suspended after breaking Covid rules
- 2 Norfolk Day sponsor postpones seaside event over safety concerns
- 3 Retired electrician who died in fire at home is named
- 4 Infections almost double national average in some Yarmouth neighbourhoods
- 5 Inquest adjourned into death of woman who died during cosmetic operation
- 6 Man helped from river after concerns for his safety
- 7 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 8 Head chef whose kitchen burned down leaves restaurant
- 9 Pub loses £40k from Covid closures during Euro 2020
- 10 £4.6m market 'on track' as new building takes shape
And much of the outer bodywork is charred with black soot, while in places the paintwork has peeled away completely.