Travel firm Eurosun hits back at claims it ripped off passengers

PUBLISHED: 16:49 26 July 2012

A BUS firm has hit back at claims it ripped off passengers who spent more than 12 hours travelling to and from London.

Passengers travelling on the Eurosun coach from Great Yarmouth to London’s Hampton Court Palace on Sunday, July 8, boarded the coach at 7.30am and were still being driven around the capital at 3pm.

In a written reply to the Mercury, a spokesman said: “This trip in question was on Sunday, July 8, which was the Wimbledon final. We knew this and allowed more time for the journey but due to the flooding the week before, the M4 was closed all weekend due to large cracks developing in the road.

“This caused major congestion in London around Hampton Court, Heathrow and Wimbledon.

“There were also festivals in London and many roads closed off and diversions in place.”

Angry passengers said that they were drive round in circles and kept seeing the same place over and over again and when they questioned the driver, he admitted he did not know where he was going.

“The driver had a sat nav and all the postcodes for the destinations and knew exactly where he was going but couldn’t get to destination due to roads closed and traffic jams. For this trip at London on July 8 we were subject to extreme traffic conditions and took more than three hours to travel 10 miles.

“Because of the delay in London the driver couldn’t complete the journey in his legal driving hours and therefore we sent another driver out to complete the last two hours of the trip. This occasionally happens and a replacement driver was found, in order to keep within the legal guidelines.”

The spokesman added: “In transport we cannot always predict weather conditions, traffic conditions, theatre seating, road closures. We can only make reasonable checks before the commencing of a journey. Certain things are beyond the company’s or driver’s control.”

In this instance, the spokesman said: “The customers decided they wouldn’t have long enough at Hampton Court, and decided not to go, and therefore the driver dropped them off at Holburn instead, for three hours freetime.”

He said: “In our terms and conditions it states that we would reply to any complaints within 14 days. This gives us time to interview the driver, collect tachograph evidence and to find out exactly what happened. In this case the customers were told that they would receive a reply within this timespan, but they failed to await a response.”

Other News

Festive cheer has spread across Great Yarmouth following the launch of the four weekly Christmas markets on Tuesday.


The bomb disposal team was called out after a object was found on a beach north of Sea Palling in north Norfolk.

Student nurses from East Anglia will meet members of parliament at Westminster today ahead of a debate which will discuss the future of nurse education funding.

Yesterday, 19:52

The A47 has been cleared after a two vehicle car crash.

Most Read

Yesterday, 17:05

Business owners have warned that people are too scared to go onto a town centre street amid fears of a rise in violence at weekends.

Read more
Mon, 12:33

A road rage incident in Great Yarmouth saw a man leave his car and try and get into another driver’s car when it was stopped at traffic lights.

Read more
Mon, 15:17

A woman who was wanted by police on recall to prison has been found in Great Yarmouth.

Read more
Norfolk Police
Yesterday, 07:17

A woman thought she was going to die as her ex-partner stamped on her head twice and broke her nose, a court heard.

Read more
Norwich Crown Court
Mon, 17:24

Emergency services were called to Great Yarmouth town centre after a disused lamp post caught fire on Monday afternoon.

Read more
Rescue Service

Local Weather

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 6°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition


Enjoy the Great
Yarmouth Mercury

e-edition today


Newsletter Sign Up

Great Yarmouth Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy