Untaxed vehicles seized
UNTAXED vehicles were seized this week as part of a car clearing scheme between police and the borough council. Great Yarmouth Car Clear Partnership launched an enforcement campaign on Tuesday and three cars were seized by police for not having road tax.
UNTAXED vehicles were seized this week as part of a car clearing scheme between police and the borough council.
Great Yarmouth Car Clear Partnership launched an enforcement campaign on Tuesday and three cars were seized by police for not having road tax.
The first vehicle was also found not to have valid insurance. It had been registered as off the road, but was still parked on a residential street.
A Land-Rover in Camperdown and a vehicle parked at Marlborough Square, in Yarmouth, were also seized for having no tax.
You may also want to watch:
Vehicle owners will now have to pay to get their cars back - £80 for the first 24 hours, and £160 after 24 hours, plus £15 per day storage costs. In addition they must pay £120 surety fee which is refundable if they produce a current tax disc for the vehicle within 14 days.
Officers from Safer Neighbourhood Teams and traffic wardens are identifying vehicles not displaying a current tax disc. If the vehicle is not taxed the DVLA can authorise the seizure and removal of the vehicle within 30 minutes.
- 1 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 2 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 3 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Yarmouth bridge will not lift until March 2022 as upgrade works delayed
- 6 Vacant Game store hosts walk-in Covid test centre
- 7 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 8 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 9 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 10 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
Yarmouth Council is the first local authority in Norfolk to take on the powers of the DVLA in dealing with untaxed motor vehicles whereby they can be seized and crushed.