Untaxed vehicles seized
UNTAXED vehicles were seized this week as part of a car clearing scheme between police and the borough council. Great Yarmouth Car Clear Partnership launched an enforcement campaign on Tuesday and three cars were seized by police for not having road tax.
UNTAXED vehicles were seized this week as part of a car clearing scheme between police and the borough council.
Great Yarmouth Car Clear Partnership launched an enforcement campaign on Tuesday and three cars were seized by police for not having road tax.
The first vehicle was also found not to have valid insurance. It had been registered as off the road, but was still parked on a residential street.
A Land-Rover in Camperdown and a vehicle parked at Marlborough Square, in Yarmouth, were also seized for having no tax.
Vehicle owners will now have to pay to get their cars back - £80 for the first 24 hours, and £160 after 24 hours, plus £15 per day storage costs. In addition they must pay £120 surety fee which is refundable if they produce a current tax disc for the vehicle within 14 days.
Officers from Safer Neighbourhood Teams and traffic wardens are identifying vehicles not displaying a current tax disc. If the vehicle is not taxed the DVLA can authorise the seizure and removal of the vehicle within 30 minutes.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 3 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 4 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 5 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 9 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 10 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
Yarmouth Council is the first local authority in Norfolk to take on the powers of the DVLA in dealing with untaxed motor vehicles whereby they can be seized and crushed.