Village cats horrific poisoning
FOUR cats have had to be put to sleep after a suspected antifreeze poisoning in the village of Lingwood.In the first incident, which happened last weekend, three cats belonging to the same owner in St Edmunds Road suffered with symptoms including loss of co-ordination, sickness and paralysis.
FOUR cats have had to be put to sleep after a suspected antifreeze poisoning in the village of Lingwood.
In the first incident, which happened last weekend, three cats belonging to the same owner in St Edmunds Road suffered with symptoms including loss of co-ordination, sickness and paralysis. They were taken to a vet where they had to be put to sleep to prevent any further suffering.
A fourth cat belonging to the same owner has been missing for the last week and there are fears the mottled white male called Tye may also have been poisoned.
On Monday, another cat in Orchard Close, also had to be put to sleep by a vet to prevent further suffering after suspected antifreeze poisoning.
You may also want to watch:
RSPCA inspector Ben Kirby said: “Although some antifreeze poisonings are accidental, there is still the chance that someone is deliberately laying poison for cats. If so, they need to realise that what they are doing is illegal, causes horrific suffering and often leads to death.”
Antifreeze tastes sweet to cats and is very attractive to them. Only a small amount can then cause the cat to become very ill and many cases end in fatality.
- 1 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 2 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 3 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 6 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 7 Woman whose house was bombed in the war celebrates 100th birthday
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Great Yarmouth bakery forced to close after it was 'condemned dangerous'
- 10 £1.5m housing plan for failed former mental health hospital
Cat owners should look out for symptoms including shaking, vomiting, seizures, drinking more and fast breathing. The sooner a cat is taken to a vet the better chance it has of recovering.
Anyone with information about this incident should contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999.