Toilets and beach car park shut as visitors urged to 'stay away'
- Credit: Google Maps
A popular seaside village has closed its car park and toilets and told visitors to stay away.
Winterton has been a draw over the festive period and New Year with people flocking to the beach to see the seals and enjoy wilderness walks, although numbers have reportedly been down on previous years when there have been chaotic scenes.
Following Monday's lockdown announcement, however, the car park and toilets have closed - although Government guidance does allow for them to remain open.
A post on the car park's Facebook page said: "We have made the decision to close the car park and the public toilets until further notice and would ask all visitors to stay away during these unprecedented times.
"We have the full support of Winterton Parish Council and the closure is in line with other Norfolk coastal car parks.
"We hope to see you again in better times."
The decision has drawn a mixed reaction on social media with some applauding the closure and others saying it was the wrong decision and that people would still go to the beach.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile a spokesman for Great Yarmouth Borough Council said its car parks were still open.
A statement said: "The council-operated car parks and toilets which are normally open at this time of year are still open, as per the national guidance."
- 1 'Business as usual' as shopping mall enters administration
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Another Norfolk branch of Outfit shuts for good among 31 more closures
- 4 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 5 Town centre post office closed as staff self-isolate
- 6 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
- 7 Investigation into 'particularly severe' case of fly-tipping
- 8 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 9 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
The car park at Winterton beach was closed during the first lockdown in March, reopening on May 13.
The Highwayman at Hermanus, which had started to offer car parking and takeaway refreshments, has also posted that it had closed.
The toilets at Hemsby beach are also closed.
Under lockdown 3 car parks and public toilets are among services that can stay open.
However, time outside the home should be kept to a minimum.
You can leave your home for exercise once a day, but not travel outside your local area.