Volunteers' new chapter in library story
A new group of volunteers was formed last night to breathe fresh life into Bradwell library.The five volunteers put themselves forward to run the library more than five years since residents last rallied round to save it.
A new group of volunteers was formed last night to breathe fresh life into Bradwell library.
The five volunteers put themselves forward to run the library more than five years since residents last rallied round to save it.
In 2003, villagers successfully launched a campaign to save the library in Lord's Lane after Norfolk County Council pulled out of operating it.
However, since then the number of people using the community- run library in the Reading Room has dwindled to just a handful a day.
You may also want to watch:
And last night, a public meeting heard that the owners of the building, the Reading Room Trust, said it could no longer handle running the library as well as maintaining the 105-year-old building.
After hearing that if no one came forward to run the library it may be forced to close its doors, four villagers - Ann Green, Julie Nicholls, Karen Hall and Peter Harrison - and county councillor Trevor Wainwright said they would form a management committee.
- 1 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 2 The Empire Strikes Back - our review of the new indoor food market
- 3 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 4 Pleasure Beach's tropical event ready to launch - and free macs if it rains
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 7 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 8 Coastguard joins search for missing London man last seen in Norfolk
- 9 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
- 10 Best friend pays tribute to missing woman, describing her as a 'lovely lady'
The first meeting of the management committee should be held later in the month.