Warm advice for the elderly
Older people across Norfolk are being urged to wrap up for winter as part of the annual Keep Warm, Keep Well campaign.
The advice also applies to people with disabilities and long term conditions, to ensure that they stay healthy throughout the cold months.
Lucy Macleod, a consultant in public health at NHS Norfolk, said: “Cold weather is a real challenge for many people, particularly those on low income, older people and those with limited mobility or long-term conditions such as heart, lung or kidney disease.
“One of the best ways of keeping yourself well at this time of year is to stay warm. We understand how difficult it can be for some people in the cold weather, so we are advising them to apply for the help that they are entitled to, and to take simple precautions to ensure they stay warm throughout the winter months.”
Every winter in the UK, 25,000 to 30,000 deaths are linked to the cold weather.
Key tips include keeping the house warm, using a hot-water bottle or electric blanket in bed at night, wearing several thin layers of clothing rather than one thick layer, staying inside during cold snaps, keeping active and moving around at least once an hour, looking out for elderly friends and neighbours and investigating what financial and practical help is on offer to help heat homes.
To find out if you qualify, call a Warm Front adviser free on 0800 316 2805 or visit the Warm Front website at www.warmfront.co.uk
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 5 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 9 Winterton beach poses as Sydney's Bondi in new movie
- 10 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
To find out more about Winter Fuel Payments, call 08459 151515 or visit www.direct.gov.uk/winterfuel
To find out more about Cold Weather Payments contact Jobcentre Plus or visit www.direct.gov.uk/coldweatherpayment
The NHS Norfolk website has a special section dedicated to winter health, including a link where people can download a copy of the Keep Warm Keep Well booklet. For details, visit: www.norfolk.nhs.uk