Warning over car cloning
VEHICLE buyers are being warned to beware they could be unwittingly buying a cloned car, resulting in a loss of thousands of pounds.Norfolk couple Melanie Scales and Philip Turney were victims of car cloning when they bought their Nissan Navara after spotting it on a website.
VEHICLE buyers are being warned to beware they could be unwittingly buying a cloned car, resulting in a loss of thousands of pounds.
Norfolk couple Melanie Scales and Philip Turney were victims of car cloning when they bought their Nissan Navara after spotting it on a website.
The couple, who live in Swanton Abbot, have now taken the decision to speak out about the incident in a bid to prevent other buyers falling foul of such a crime.
DC Chris Woodcock, from the police's Organised Vehicle Crime Unit, said: “The cloned vehicle was purchased from an address outside of Norfolk, for a price that was deemed to be about the going rate - sometimes such vehicles are offered for sale at significantly cheaper rates.
You may also want to watch:
“The innocent purchasers believed that they had done all that they could to verify the vehicle's provenance.
“They are now extremely frustrated at what has happened to them and want to highlight the issue in a bid to prevent other people falling victim to the same scam.”
- 1 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
- 2 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 3 Public urged to check outbuildings as fears grow for missing woman
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Police sniffer dogs join search for missing woman
- 6 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 7 Forensic officers back as hunt for missing Patricia Holland in fifth day
- 8 'Very little known' about man, 76, who died at home, inquest hears
- 9 'Busy' wildlife rescue centre bids for a permanent home
- 10 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
The 4x4 had been stolen from an address in Terrington in October.