Warning over computer support scams
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.
Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
The caller claims that there is something wrong with the person's personal computer, although no detail of the exact problem is given.
The caller then asks the person to visit their website where the problem would be corrected.
Attempts are also made to sell additional, unnecessary protection software. The callers are based abroad and claim irreparable damage will be caused if the person does not act at once.
Trading standards advises people in Norfolk to not to pass any details such as passwords or personal details to the caller.
- 1 Pleasure Beach running locals evening with discount for NR postcodes
- 2 Drink driver caught while following police car on A47
- 3 Football club fined and chairman suspended over FA breaches
- 4 Dog rescued after fire breaks out at Gorleston home
- 5 Debate over 665 homes to be broadcast live amid 'heightened interest'
- 6 Children's truck convoy returns to region's road this August
- 7 Artist unveils stunning new butterfly mural on private house
- 8 'Handful' of people kicked out of Norfolk cinema amid Minions TikTok craze
- 9 Queen's baton and carnival set to deliver 'super Saturday' in Yarmouth
- 10 Man jailed for hotel arson which caused £6k of damage
A spokesman said: “Do not visit the caller's website and do not to buy anything. If you have any concerns over a problem with your PC contact your own computer support business, internet service provider or a known computer business.”