Warning over computer support scams
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.
Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
The caller claims that there is something wrong with the person's personal computer, although no detail of the exact problem is given.
The caller then asks the person to visit their website where the problem would be corrected.
You may also want to watch:
Attempts are also made to sell additional, unnecessary protection software. The callers are based abroad and claim irreparable damage will be caused if the person does not act at once.
Trading standards advises people in Norfolk to not to pass any details such as passwords or personal details to the caller.
- 1 Can you spot yourself at Great Yarmouth Ladies Day?
- 2 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 3 'It's a big pain' - Third river crossing work leaves businessman frustrated
- 4 'I'm totally shocked' - metal railings stolen from Gorleston home
- 5 Ex-Charter Academy head known for discipline causing stir in new role
- 6 'Book dates and toasties': Town's new café has successful start
- 7 Children’s commissioner opens expanding school’s £7m new building
- 8 Covid cases rise by a fifth in borough
- 9 Investigation after teenage girl verbally abused by man in car
- 10 Out There Festival 2021 begins today
A spokesman said: “Do not visit the caller's website and do not to buy anything. If you have any concerns over a problem with your PC contact your own computer support business, internet service provider or a known computer business.”