Warning over computer support scams
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.
Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
The caller claims that there is something wrong with the person's personal computer, although no detail of the exact problem is given.
The caller then asks the person to visit their website where the problem would be corrected.
You may also want to watch:
Attempts are also made to sell additional, unnecessary protection software. The callers are based abroad and claim irreparable damage will be caused if the person does not act at once.
Trading standards advises people in Norfolk to not to pass any details such as passwords or personal details to the caller.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Covid jab centre receives additional vaccination stocks
- 9 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 10 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
A spokesman said: “Do not visit the caller's website and do not to buy anything. If you have any concerns over a problem with your PC contact your own computer support business, internet service provider or a known computer business.”