Warning over computer support scams
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
COMPUTER owners in Norfolk are being targeted by a new telephone scam.
Norfolk County Council's trading standards department has received complaints from people who have received telephone calls from someone claiming to work for online computer support businesses.
The caller claims that there is something wrong with the person's personal computer, although no detail of the exact problem is given.
The caller then asks the person to visit their website where the problem would be corrected.
Attempts are also made to sell additional, unnecessary protection software. The callers are based abroad and claim irreparable damage will be caused if the person does not act at once.
Trading standards advises people in Norfolk to not to pass any details such as passwords or personal details to the caller.
- 1 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 2 WATCH: Young singer's music video highlighting Great Yarmouth landmarks
- 3 CCTV images released after e-scooters stolen in Great Yarmouth
- 4 New women's-only gym and bar opens in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Dinosaurs are making their way to Great Yarmouth this summer
- 6 Bid to capture giant eagle owl living in village put forward
- 7 Great Yarmouth pub looking at ways to improve night security
- 8 Bicycling dealer found to have drugs concealed in his underwear
- 9 Ask the Mercury: What are mystery posts and when was landmark demolished?
- 10 Two Norfolk MPs come out in support of Boris Johnson over 'BYOB' gathering
A spokesman said: “Do not visit the caller's website and do not to buy anything. If you have any concerns over a problem with your PC contact your own computer support business, internet service provider or a known computer business.”