Search

Warning over spread of dog virus

PUBLISHED: 15:38 14 October 2010 | UPDATED: 15:43 14 October 2010

Photo shows Gorleston woman Dawn Graves with her pet Cockapoo Monty, who has suffered from parvo virus.

Photo shows Gorleston woman Dawn Graves with her pet Cockapoo Monty, who has suffered from parvo virus.

Archant

A DOG owner is warning fellow animal lovers to be vigilant for potentially deadly parvovirus after a family pet was struck down with the disease.

Christine Hall, of Park Road, Gorleston said the cost of treating a dog with canine parvovirus could run into thousands of pounds which would be too much for poorer families.

Her son Daniel Graves and daughter-in-law Dawn, who also live in Gorleston, had their nine-month-old cockapoo Monty treated for parvovirus, which causes vomiting and diarrhoea, after he was struck down during the last month.

The disease meant he could not be taking out for walks until clear of the virus and had acute vomiting and diarrhoea.

Fortunately, he has since been released from Haven Veterinary Surgery in Yarmouth, where he was kept for over two weeks and has returned home, though he still has to be kept away from other dogs.

The fit and bubbly hound has also had to avoid family members in case of contamination from faeces stuck to shoes.

Mrs Hall said: “People have got to know that if they have got a poorly dog then they should get it to the vets as quickly as possible because it could have parvovirus.

“The sooner the dog is treated, the better it’s chance of survival. This is a highly contagious disease.”

Her own dog, cockaspaniel Tallulah, has so far avoided parvovirus though she has been worried by the spread of the disease after the Mercury reported last week how Haven vets had treated five dogs for the condition.

Dogs carrying the infection are treated with plenty of fluids and antivirals.

Last week, Robert Livie, director of Haven vets, also warned dog owners to be vigilant and clear any faeces left by their pets.

There is an incubation period of three to 10 days and dogs that may have come into contact with the infection need to be isolated.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists