Warning over spread of dog virus
A DOG owner is warning fellow animal lovers to be vigilant for potentially deadly parvovirus after a family pet was struck down with the disease.
Christine Hall, of Park Road, Gorleston said the cost of treating a dog with canine parvovirus could run into thousands of pounds which would be too much for poorer families.
Her son Daniel Graves and daughter-in-law Dawn, who also live in Gorleston, had their nine-month-old cockapoo Monty treated for parvovirus, which causes vomiting and diarrhoea, after he was struck down during the last month.
The disease meant he could not be taking out for walks until clear of the virus and had acute vomiting and diarrhoea.
Fortunately, he has since been released from Haven Veterinary Surgery in Yarmouth, where he was kept for over two weeks and has returned home, though he still has to be kept away from other dogs.
You may also want to watch:
The fit and bubbly hound has also had to avoid family members in case of contamination from faeces stuck to shoes.
Mrs Hall said: “People have got to know that if they have got a poorly dog then they should get it to the vets as quickly as possible because it could have parvovirus.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 6 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 7 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say
“The sooner the dog is treated, the better it’s chance of survival. This is a highly contagious disease.”
Her own dog, cockaspaniel Tallulah, has so far avoided parvovirus though she has been worried by the spread of the disease after the Mercury reported last week how Haven vets had treated five dogs for the condition.
Dogs carrying the infection are treated with plenty of fluids and antivirals.
Last week, Robert Livie, director of Haven vets, also warned dog owners to be vigilant and clear any faeces left by their pets.
There is an incubation period of three to 10 days and dogs that may have come into contact with the infection need to be isolated.