Woman dies in A47 crash
A woman has died and a young child seriously injured after a crash involving a lorry and a car on the A47 near King's Lynn this morning. It was expected the road, one of the major trunk roads into Norfolk, is to be shut for several hours following the crash.
A woman has died and a young child seriously injured after a crash involving a lorry and a car on the A47 near King's Lynn this morning.
It was expected the road, one of the major trunk roads into Norfolk, is to be shut for several hours following the crash.
Police, fire fighters and ambulance crews were called to the scene, at East Winch, at about 10am. The police helicopter and air ambulance were also called to the crash site.
The female driver of the car died at the scene, the ambulance service said. A two year old child in the car has been taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) in King's Lynn with serious injuries.
A passenger in the car was trapped but was released by the fire brigade. The driver of the lorry was said not to be seriously injured but was also taken to the QEH for checks.
Police and the fire service members are at still at the scene, which is expected to be blocked off for several hours. Five fire crews from King's Lynn and Swaffham had originally been called to attend. Two were still on scene at about 11.30am.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 3 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 6 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 7 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 8 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 9 Work under way on Yarmouth's new enterprise hub
- 10 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
A police investigation is underway.