Woman found hanging in Yarmouth flat
An eastern European woman has been found dead near Great Yarmouth's seafront only days after she moved to the town.The 62-year-old Lithuanian woman was found hanging in a flat in Apsley Road on Friday morning.
An eastern European woman has been found dead near Great Yarmouth's seafront only days after she moved to the town.
The 62-year-old Lithuanian woman was found hanging in a flat in Apsley Road on Friday morning.
Yesterday the Yarmouth Coroner's Office said it could not officially confirm the woman's identity as very little information is known about her and her relatives.
Coroner's officers will be talking to members of the Lithuanian community today to see if they can help translate some of the woman's documents to discover any clues to her background.
The Lithuanian embassy has also been asked for help in tracking down the woman's next of kin.
It is hoped a member of her family can be found so a formal identification can be made and an inquest can go ahead.
- 1 Gorleston road closed for five months for new manhole and tunnel
- 2 MTV heading to Great Yarmouth for 'ultimate weekend'
- 3 Man kicked incontinent Doberman after it left mess
- 4 Holiday flats bid for seafront hotel after homes plan rejected
- 5 New bus service to link Great Yarmouth with two major airports
- 6 Man accused of woman's murder in Gorleston unfit to enter plea
- 7 Man on cocktail of drugs arrested after hitting 73mph in 30mph limit
- 8 Data shows Yarmouth among least vaccinated areas of UK
- 9 Christmas parties go ahead in Great Yarmouth as caution warned
- 10 'Vulnerable' 21-year-old still missing after six days
It is believed she was Violeta Pocopkiene and had previously travelled across America.
She had only moved to her Yarmouth flat in the last few days and her neighbours knew very little about her.
Coroner's officer Steve Turner said: “She appears to have only been living in Yarmouth a very short time and unfortunately no one knows anything about her or her next of kin.”
The woman's body was found at about 10am on Friday and firefighters had to put up a screen so residents could not see her body through the flat's window.
Police say they are not treating the incident as suspicious.
Anyone who has information about the dead woman is being asked to call the Yarmouth Coroner's Office on 01493 452477.