Search

Woman rescued in Yarmouth flat fire

PUBLISHED: 16:31 01 June 2009 | UPDATED: 14:03 03 July 2010

A WOMAN had to be rescued by firefighters when a fire broke out in her Great Yarmouth flat after she had fallen asleep and left the cooker on.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze on Yarmouth Way after a quick-thinking neighbour dialled 999 after hearing the smoke alarm.

A WOMAN had to be rescued by firefighters when a fire broke out in her Great Yarmouth flat after she had fallen asleep and left the cooker on.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze on Yarmouth Way after a quick-thinking neighbour dialled 999 after hearing the smoke alarm.

Two appliances went to the scene shortly before 8pm last night and crews forced entry to rescue to the woman, believed to be in her 20s.

The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes and the woman did not need treatment for smoke inhalation.

A spokesman from Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said it showed the importance of having smoke detectors and how they can save lives.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury