X Factor stars and celebrity chef to turn on Christmas lights
- Credit: Gorleston Traders Association
Two TV talent show brothers are adding an X Factor sparkle to Gorleston’s Christmas lights switch on.
Leon and Alex Mallett from Lingwood appeared in last year’s competition as duo ITG (In the Genetics) and made it through to boot camp, before being split up by Simon Cowell.
Leon, who progressed further than Alex, said that since their TV appearance the brothers were enjoying gigging together again – with their popularity and confidence boosted by their X Factor moment.
“We used to sing in pubs, clubs and hotels around Yarmouth. Now we are out most weekends in bigger venues – including leading holiday resorts – across the country. We learned a lot from X Factor’s singing coaches on how to work as a duo.
“It is great to be appearing back in the Yarmouth area. People can see how we have progressed,” said Leon, 23, who also appeared on the show three years earlier in the band Fifth Street.
You may also want to watch:
He and Alex will entertain a 5,000-strong crowd at the Gorleston event on Sunday November 25 – mostly doing pop “covers” but also introducing a new song they have written themselves.
They will sing on the stage near The Feathers in the High Street from 4pm, ahead of the 5pm switch-on by Norfolk celebrity chef Galton Blackiston, and fireworks at 6pm.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 5 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 6 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 7 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 8 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 9 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 10 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
Activities, including stalls, rides, skating rink and a craft fair in the Green Bear club, start at noon.
Santa will be in his grotto at the Fusion Hair Consultants studio from 1pm-6pm, local shopkeeper and DJ Richard Routledge will play music and Mr Blackiston will sign copies of his latest book. The fireworks are launched from the roof of the cinema.
The event is run by the Gorleston Traders Association, supported by funding from the Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area.
Organiser Kevin Huggins, said: “It brings in thousands of people to see and spend in the fantastic range of businesses we have in Gorleston.“
Traders can book stalls at the switch-on by contacting Mr Huggins on Kevin Huggins email@example.com or 07712 075088.
The Christmas switch on in Great Yarmouth is on Friday November 30, the first day of the Christmas Fayre.