Yarmouth businesses sign up for Heroes Welcome
SEVERAL local businesses have enlisted in a scheme to show war heroes they are welcome in the Great Yarmouth borough.
Heroes Welcome is not a charity or a discount scheme, but involves local businesses showing open support for the British Armed Forces and saying: “We’re proud to serve you”.
The first to sign up was Mill Road Fishery in Stokesby, offering free fishing to any troops showing their warrant card on the bankside; hotly followed by the Old Tobacconists and Jewellers in Regent Street who are giving a 10pc discount on all jewellery “to all Heroes”, they said.
Businesses are being asked to display the special Heroes Welcome sticker in a visible place, whether it is a caf�, pub, shop, restaurant, hotel or guest house, or a taxi, to show a little special appreciation.
The Heroes Welcome sign will show businesses are going to give a special warm welcome to members of the armed forces, and they can choose whether to give a special discount or a service upgrade.
The member of the armed forces will show his or her warrant card to show they are serving their country.
One of the places already signed up in Norfolk is Breckland.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
The Great Yarmouth borough scheme will be registered on the website www.heroeswelcome.co.uk, where there will be a page dedicated to the borough and telling servicemen and servicewomen which businesses have signed up.
It does not cost anything to join and receive the large sticker.
It is hoped to officially launch the scheme to co-incide with Armed Forces Weekend on June 25 and 26.
Any businesses interested in being the first to sign up should contact Laura Goodman, mayoral and civic events officer at the borough council, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The scheme is being backed by the Town Centre Partnership, Greater Yarmouth Tourist Authority and Great Yarmouth Borough Council.