Search

Yarmouth cat poisoned

PUBLISHED: 10:36 18 June 2009 | UPDATED: 14:12 03 July 2010

A GREAT Yarmouth pet lover has spoken of her heartbreak following the death of her cat after it was poisoned with antifreeze.

Tommy, a nine-year-old ginger cat, died after a five-day struggle for life.

A GREAT Yarmouth pet lover has spoken of her heartbreak following the death of her cat after it was poisoned with antifreeze.

Tommy, a nine-year-old ginger cat, died after a five-day struggle for life.

He left his home in Garrison Road, Yarmouth, on Sunday, June 7, and seemed fine when he returned, but started being sick overnight.

After making an initial recovery, Tommy was left lethargic and reluctant to go outside until he was sick again three days later and his owner Debbie Wilby rushed him to the vets.

On examination, it became clear he had been poisoned and despite extensive treatment he went into kidney failure and had to be put down on Friday.

Later tests revealed that antifreeze poisoning was the cause of death.

It is thought that Tommy was poisoned in the immediate area of Garrison Road as he never went more than 100 metres from home.

The RSPCA is now appealing for information about the poisoning - but it is not clear if the cat was deliberately or accidentally poisoned.

RSPCA inspector Ben Kirby said: “Sometimes antifreeze is spilt when someone is working on their car, but sometimes it is laid deliberately to poison cats, probably to keep them away from property. The effects, as in this case, are often deadly as the animal suffers a slow, painful death.”

This year 58 cases of animal poisoning have been reported in the eastern region so far to the RSPCA - 27 of which were cats.

The RSPCA is asking anyone with information about this incident to contact them in confidence on 0300 1234 999.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury