Yarmouth fashion trendsetter passes away after 30 years in the trade

AN ENTERPRISING shopkeeper who was pivotal in bringing Carnaby Street fashion to the heart of Great Yarmouth has died following a long illness.

Doreen Moore, who owned Doreen Fashions on Market Row, spent 35 years trading from a number of stores in the town where she was committed to delivering the must-haves in womens’ clothing.

Renowned for her vivacious personality, Doreen was never shy of controversy and was famed for being the first shop to sell women’s topless dresses.

Meanwhile, her demand for justice and passion for the Market Row traders often saw her at loggerheads with Great Yarmouth Borough Council to ensure the shopkeepers were given fair treatment.

The 87-year-old, who had a home in Caister and Spain, died on July 29 – three days shy of her birthday.

Describing her mum, Carol Christmas said: “She was a very outgoing person, a great character and a true legend.

“Everyone knew who she was from Great Yarmouth all the way to Norwich.

Most Read

“My mum was at the forefront of ladies’ fashion in Yarmouth and captured the London styles way before anyone else did in the town.”

Born in Yarmouth in 1924, Doreen started a small store selling women’s separates, but saw her enterprise grow to include all areas of fashion.

In the 1960s, she launched the Boutique Dollitogs where she brought the glamour of the London fashion scene into the wardrobes of Yarmouth people.

Over the years her shops evolved away from teenage fashion, and she began to trade in evening and bridal wear from her shop, Way In, also on Market Row.

In a tribute to Doreen in last week’s Mercury, grandson Matthew, said: “My beloved Nan Dors. A huge part of my life always.

“The times we shared and how much you cared are treasured memories that will be remembered forever.”

Doreen was married to Bill Moore, a chemist on Market Row. She is survived by her two daughters, Carol Christmas and Wendy Brooks, four grandchildren, and four great grandchildren.

A funeral service was held at Holy Trinity Church, Caister, followed by a cremation at Gorleston yesterday.