Yarmouth hoteliers to pledge love at palace
TWO hoteliers were due to renew their marriage vows on TV tomorrow at a stately home which shares the name of their Great Yarmouth guest house.
Martin and Denise Simpson were one of 50 couples taking part in the ceremony at Blenheim Palace for ITV1 breakfast show Daybreak.
The husband and wife are taking a well-earned rest from running The Blenheim Hotel on Aspley Road to pledge their love at the palace.
Martin and Denise, who tied the knot 33 years ago, were not able to renew their vows on holiday in Jamaica in January because they did not bring their marriage certificate.
They entered the Daybreak competition after returning from holiday and were delighted to be chosen as one of the winners.
Martin, 55, said: 'We had to write in to say why we should be selected and learnt we had won three weeks ago.
'Everyone is over the moon and very excited about seeing us on TV. We have quite a few regular guests and have been telling them all about it.
- 1 Travellers moved on from Great Yarmouth seafront
- 2 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 3 Police seize three vehicles including Range Rover in Great Yarmouth
- 4 7 attractions you can no longer enjoy at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 5 Two day beach party coming to Hemsby
- 6 Shock as knife found in Subway tuna sandwich
- 7 Great Yarmouth seafront is 'like it used to be,' say traders
- 8 Vintage Broads cruiser returns home to Potter Heigham
- 9 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
'We did not have a honeymoon and our holiday in Jamaica was the first we had been on for 30 years, just the two of us. So we decided to renew our vows, but did not realise we needed a marriage certificate.
'Winning the competition has more than made up for that. We were one of thousands of couples who entered so are over the moon to be chosen.
'I have no idea how the hotel got its name or if it is connected to Blenheim Palace.'
Denise has bought a new frock for the occasion, while Martin will be wearing top hat and tails.
Originally from London, Martin and Denise met in a bar and married in 1978. A former nightclub owner Martin has been running the hotel with Denise for the last 11 years. They have three sons, identical twins Ryan and Darron, 29, and 16-year-old Billy.
The birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill, Blenheim Palace is among Britain's most magnificent architectural achievements.
Built for The Duke of Marlborough in honour of his victory over France at the Battle of Blenheim, the 18th century palace is set within 2,000 acres of parkland amid the Oxfordshire Cotswolds.
It has a series of magnificent state apartments including the ornate grand hall and an extensive collecton of priceless paintings and antiques.
In contrast, The Blenheim Hotel, just a short stroll from the Golden Mile, boasts 12 bedrooms and is the most reviewed Yarmouth guest house on the Trip Advisor website.