Yarmouth residents to star in new movie
More than 150 people from Great Yarmouth will be in the movie limelight from February when a gritty fantasy film goes on public release.Malice in Wonderland features stars Danny Dyer, Nathaniel Parker and Maggie Grace rubbing shoulders with residents of Yarmouth and surrounding areas.
More than 150 people from Great Yarmouth will be in the movie limelight from February when a gritty fantasy film goes on public release.
Malice in Wonderland features stars Danny Dyer, Nathaniel Parker and Maggie Grace rubbing shoulders with residents of Yarmouth and surrounding areas.
Shot in the resort last summer, locals featured as extras in scenes shot along the seafront, in the Hippodrome Circus and in alleyways.
Due to be released on February 4, Malice in Wonderland is a gangster story styled on Lewis Carroll's children's novel and uses a stylish and unusual mix of colours and lighting reminiscent of the hit Bruce Willis film Sin City.
You may also want to watch:
It tells the story of a woman called Alice who is plunged into a fantasy world full of criminal lowlifes after she has an accident.
The company behind the movie Future Films choose Yarmouth over Southend, Essex, for the location shooting because of the town's distinctive coastline and large venues.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 2 'Curiouser and curiouser' - Mystery white rabbit graffiti appears on coast
- 3 Parking ban outside town centre church looks set to be reversed
- 4 Retired electrician who died in fire at home is named
- 5 'Ripped our hearts out' - Shop owners 'gutted' after burglars strike
- 6 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 7 Man in 40s dies from Covid at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Great Yarmouth bakery forced to close after it was 'condemned dangerous'
- 9 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 10 Five hundred arrests help Great Yarmouth's war on drugs
For the film the Hippodrome was transformed into a seedy nightclub last July with 150 people from the area dressing up as dancers and club goers, including taxi driver Tim Weller, security guard Daniel Betts and Lowestoft builder Gary Regan.
The female star of Malice in Wonderland is Maggie Grace from the television series Lost with Nathaniel Parker better known as detective Inspector Linley playing the hero.
Danny Dyer, famed for playing chirpy cockneys and football hooligans, stars as Whitey an enigmatic taxi driver who helps Alice.
In February director Simon Fellows, who has also made the films 7 Seconds and Blessed, told the EDP: “It will have a terrific pace and energy with a sound and editing style that will push contemporary interpretation to the cinematic limits.”
Originally film legend Bob Hoskins and Mischa Barton, star of the television series the OC, had been slated to appear as the main stars of Malice in Wonderland.
Last night a spokesman for Future Films said: “The release in the UK is planned for February 4, 2010.”