Yarmouth's Allied Carpets store shuts
Great Yarmouth's Allied Carpets store is among 142 stores around the country to shut after the retail chain failed to attract a buyer.The store in Pasteur Road is the latest victim of the economic slump which has seen a fall in the demand for home furnishings.
Great Yarmouth's Allied Carpets store is among 142 stores around the country to shut after the retail chain failed to attract a buyer.
The store in Pasteur Road is the latest victim of the economic slump which has seen a fall in the demand for home furnishings.
Administrator BDO Stoy Hayward said there had been “initial interest” in the chain but no serious bids.
Allied Carpets went into administration last month, with
You may also want to watch:
21,000 orders still outstanding.
BDO said it was making good progress finishing the orders, with 16,000 fulfilled so far, and aims to ensure all are completed eventually.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Man released on bail following Gorleston murder arrest
- 3 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 4 Vacant bar, restaurant and hotel sells at auction
- 5 Tiny dog almost loses leg after stepping on broken glass
- 6 Former town centre pub set to become flats
- 7 Opening date confirmed for new Sports Direct in town's former M&S
- 8 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 9 Former care home sells at auction for £400,000
- 10 Man stabbed victim in chest with screwdriver at cemetery
Former Allied chief executive Clive Hutchings has already bought 55 stores and set up a new firm that could revive the brand.
BDO said it was likely more outlets and jobs would be transferred to the new outfit within the next two weeks.
However, Dermot Power, BDO Stoy Hayward business restructuring partner, said: “Although we have had a strong level of initial interest in the portfolio, the common concern has been around the lack of visibility of future turnover.
“In addition, many of those who operate in the same industry haven't been comfortable taking the step to extend their current portfolio in such a tough trading climate.”
The Yarmouth store is understood to have closed several weeks ago.