Yarmouth’s Jason Statham rules himself out of playing Bond
- Credit: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP
Great Yarmouth’s Jason Statham has ruled himself out of the running to be the next 007.
The actor is currently starring in The Meg, a film in which he plays a rescue diver tasked with saving a submarine crew trapped at the bottom of the ocean with a giant prehistoric shark.
At the film’s premiere in Los Angeles on Monday, the British actor was asked if he would be interested in playing Bond if Daniel Craig steps down after his fifth outing as the revered spy.
He said: “No-one is coming to me for that job.”
Statham, 51, was joined on the red carpet by his fiancee, the British model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, 31.
Bond 25 is being directed by Danny Boyle.
The Oscar-winning movie mogul has been filming with Richard Curtis in multiple locations across East Anglia including at Gorleston, which he dubbed “one of the great secrets of England.”
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 7 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 8 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in and around Great Yarmouth this week
- 10 Consultant maps his medical journey
Movie hardman Statham was born in Derbyshire but moved to Yarmouth with his family.
Three years ago he told The Guardian: ““Yeah, I’d make a decent Bond. But it’d be very, very different if I did it.”