Sleep-out to highlight double plight of those struggling with mental health and homelessness
- Credit: NSFT
Mental health staff are staging a sleep-out at Northgate Hospital to raise awareness of homelessness.
Staff at Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (NSFT) are raising money for good causes that help people in need and collecting provisions for a food bank.
The early intervention team based at Northgate Hospital in Great Yarmouth will sleep rough on Friday, April 20.
Charlotte White, community manager, said: “This is something we are passionate about. We all have experience of dealing with the effects of homelessness on people’s mental health and the struggles that people with mental health problems face when they are homeless.
“Both mental health and homelessness are complex issues, but when someone is facing both, it can be especially difficult for them.”
They will be handing out food parcels to homeless people and walking around to support and talk to people living on the streets, then bedding down overnight at Northgate Hospital from 9pm to 6am.
In terms of foodbank donations they are looking for tinned meat meals, tins of vegetables, potatoes, soup, fruit, and jars of jam, peanut butter, marmalade, as well as cereals, toiletries, sanitary items.
- 1 Five-vehicle crash causes delays on A47
- 2 Jail for man caught with £1,000 of cocaine in car
- 3 Yarmouth man whose body part was found had been released from prison
- 4 Festival promising 'fun-packed' weekend on coast
- 5 Market stalls ripped down in town centre
- 6 Party night celebrating 40 years of jazz, funk and soul
- 7 Row breaks out over council's 'hokey cokey' rule change
- 8 Fire breaks out at village hall only minutes before council meeting
- 9 Police to patrol high crime areas in resort for three straight days
- 10 Body part of man found on beach in Great Yarmouth
Donations can be dropped off at the Resource Centre at Northgate Hospital, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 4.30pm.
The team will be fundraising for local foodbanks and Tribal Trust, a local support network which provides vital supplies to people throughout Great Yarmouth who are homeless or in need, including food, warm clothing and toiletries.