Yarmouth smokers can quit by text
A NEW service has been set up to make it easier for smokers to kick the habit.The Text and QUIT service enables smokers to text “QUIT” to the number 65000 and receive a good luck message from an advisor from NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney's stop smoking service.
A NEW service has been set up to make it easier for smokers to kick the habit.
The Text and QUIT service enables smokers to text “QUIT” to the number 65000 and receive a good luck message from an advisor from NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney's stop smoking service.
Over the next few weeks, the healthcare provider will hand out leaflets and posters giving details of the service, as well as distributing beer mats in pubs and clubs.
The information will be targeted in the areas of the greatest need, where research shows that a higher than average proportion of the population smoke.
Vicki Snelgrove, tobacco control commissioning advisor with NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney, said: “We want to make sure we can offer the best possible support to people who want to give up smoking, as a lot of people find it hard - especially during the first few days.
“This text service will help anyone who wants to give up to get over those first hurdles. All they need to do is text QUIT to 65000, and a stop smoking advisor will ring them back. They'll then offer continued help and support, and can give tailored advice designed specifically for each individual, such as whether nicotine replacement therapy would be suitable.
- 1 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 2 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 5 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 9 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
Anyone who wants help to stop should text QUIT to 65000, or can alternatively contact the stop smoking team on 0800 085 6037.