Yarmouth smokers can quit by text
A NEW service has been set up to make it easier for smokers to kick the habit.The Text and QUIT service enables smokers to text “QUIT” to the number 65000 and receive a good luck message from an advisor from NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney's stop smoking service.
A NEW service has been set up to make it easier for smokers to kick the habit.
The Text and QUIT service enables smokers to text “QUIT” to the number 65000 and receive a good luck message from an advisor from NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney's stop smoking service.
Over the next few weeks, the healthcare provider will hand out leaflets and posters giving details of the service, as well as distributing beer mats in pubs and clubs.
The information will be targeted in the areas of the greatest need, where research shows that a higher than average proportion of the population smoke.
You may also want to watch:
Vicki Snelgrove, tobacco control commissioning advisor with NHS Great Yarmouth and Waveney, said: “We want to make sure we can offer the best possible support to people who want to give up smoking, as a lot of people find it hard - especially during the first few days.
“This text service will help anyone who wants to give up to get over those first hurdles. All they need to do is text QUIT to 65000, and a stop smoking advisor will ring them back. They'll then offer continued help and support, and can give tailored advice designed specifically for each individual, such as whether nicotine replacement therapy would be suitable.
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 3 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 4 Nine cars damaged in overnight spree in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 6 Drone captures unique view of Norfolk landmark
- 7 Woman, 29, gets cervical cancer all-clear after lockdown shock
- 8 Woman threatened with 10in bread knife and two meat cleavers, court told
- 9 How can Hemsby best be protected from surging seas?
- 10 Free wi-fi launched in Great Yarmouth’s Market Place
Anyone who wants help to stop should text QUIT to 65000, or can alternatively contact the stop smoking team on 0800 085 6037.