Acle among the goals
Acle United 4, North Walsham 0FOR a game of excitement this Anglian Combination Premier Division match on Tuesday will take some beating during this season.
Acle United 4, North Walsham 0
FOR a game of excitement this Anglian Combination Premier Division match on Tuesday will take some beating during this season.
It had everything and could quite easily have finished up with a scoreline of 8-8.
The game started and finished with excellent goals scored by Holdsworth and in-between further goals by Crane and Lewis Holdsworth, who registered his first hat-trick for the Bridewell
The visitors arrived fresh on the back of defeating the Sterry Cup favourites Sheringham and proved during the 90 minutes that they themselves will be no pushovers this season following their opening victory against the much-fancied Shannocks.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
North Walsham will feel they deserved at least a point out of the game, such was their contribution, but as the cliché goes “its goals that count” and despite all the neat approach play the final ball and shot on goal saw no clinical finish.
Walsham's manager John Musgrove was left shaking his head as the hosts showed a clinical side to their game in the last quarter of the pitch. And with the solid pairing of Foreman and Wright at the heart of Acle's defence there seemed no way through the home rearguard. And when a way was found, young Scot Foreman in goal covered himself in glory with some excellent saves.
The scoring started in the eighth minute when the impressive Hodds sent a long centre across field to find Holdsworth coming in off the right wing to send a thunderous header into the far corner .
After 16 minutes Acle doubled their lead after a neat build-up between Rathbone Lacey and Nicholls sent Crane racing through on goal to chip the keeper.
Hodds repeated his action of the eighth minute when he centred for Holdsworth to score Acle's third after 21 minutes, and there seemed no way back for the visitors.
Just before half-time Crane and Morgan set up Holdsworth who cheekily completed his hat-trick with a clever back-heel.
Although the hosts registered four goals in this game they know the traffic was not all one-way and the visitors will take plenty of points from teams this season.
Acle's Ricky Hodds blotted his copy book in the closing minutes when he was rightly shown the red card for kicking out at an opponent after the ball was gone.