Acle back to their best
Acle United 3, Wroxham Reserves 2
ACLE played their best football of the season to reward their supporters for being patient while they struggled in the last few weeks.
After 16 minutes Nathan Thompson reacted like lightning and caught out keeper Nathan Pauling who was delaying clearing the ball. Thompson got to the rebound and put Acle ahead.
Acle have gained the plaudits of late but haven’t won any league points since October 6.
With half-time approaching their defence gave Buchan the room to squeeze the ball past Scott Foreman for the equaliser, but this only served to rally Acle.
With the second half only three minutes old Thompson was again the thorn in Wroxham’s side when he finished off a goalmouth scramble with a clever flick off the outside of his foot to send the ball over the line with Pauling grabbing thin air.
Midway through the half, Acle put daylight between the two sides when Luke Goreham, displaying every piece of skill in the book, again sent a pin-point cross-field ball to pick out Harry Maddison. He executed an exquisite lob from 18 yards that left Pauling in no-man’s land and put Acle 3-2 ahead.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 4 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 5 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 6 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 7 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 8 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 9 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
- 10 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
Acle defenders Hodds and Manning gave exceptional performances, but star of the hosts’ revival with an incredible showing of confidence and ability was Daniel Foreman.
He blotted his copy book only once, late in the game when turning in an own-goal whilst attempting to clear his lines.
Acle, now sixth in the Anglian Combination Premier Division, tomorrow visit the title race leaders Cromer Town (2.30pm ko).