Acle clear cup hurdle
Acle United 4, Wells Town 2
ACLE produced an excellent all-round performance against the Seasiders in the Mummery Cup to claim their place in the next round.
This despite giving away two sloppy goals that gave a somewhat false look at the final score.
Phillip Palmer opened his scoring account for the season after 30 minutes by exchanging passes with Ben Morgan and clinically finishing off the flowing move to put Acle level after Daniel Grocott had opened the scoring for the visitors, firing under the body of Scott Foreman.
Joe Marsden beat the keeper when a one-on-one situation presented itself and squared to Harry Maddison, who side-stepped the ball home into the empty net with the keeper soundly beaten.
The second half saw Acle confidently pushing the ball around and creating chances. One fell to Luke Goreham after some fine work from both Thompson and Maddison. It gave Goreham the chance to cleverly put the ball beyond the visiting keeper’s reach for 3-1.
Read and Nicholls combined well to set up Harry Maddison for his second as Acle asserted a grip on the game. Ben Manning, Ben Thompson and Nathan Thompson all saw efforts rebound back off the woodwork.
- 1 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 2 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 5 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 9 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
With time running out Gray scored a consolation second for the visitors with a speculative shot from 20 yards.