Acle hail the champions
Acle United 0, Wroxham Reserves 3THE Yachtsmen sailed out of Acle on Saturday with the Sterry Cup virtually tucked into their kit-bags.The Dolphin autos Anglian Combination champions-elect played exhibition football at Bridewell Lane which had a clinical feel to it in every position.
Acle United 0, Wroxham Reserves 3
THE Yachtsmen sailed out of Acle on Saturday with the Sterry Cup virtually tucked into their kit-bags.
The Dolphin autos Anglian Combination champions-elect played exhibition football at Bridewell Lane which had a clinical feel to it in every position.
A full-strength Wroxham set their stall out from the first whistle and left the depleted United in no doubt as to their ambitions and proved to the good home crowd that their position on top of the league was well merited.
As early as the sixth minute the visitors stamped their authority on the game when Acle, still missing several influential players either injured or suspended, failed to pick up Wones in the six-yard box, allowing the Wroxham defender the easiest of tasks to plant a header past Carter.
Wroxham increased their lead after 14 minutes when all Acle players were caught upfield and could not prevent Ben Morgan chasing a route-one ball delivered by Andy Jackson, and with Carter unprotected in Acle's goal the striker put the ball in the right-hand corner.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 4 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 5 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
- 10 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
This stirred Acle into action, but the damage was already done, and although the match became more even United struggled to register any worthwhile effort on target.
Hoffman was perhaps lucky not to receive more punishment for some late tackles but this was evened up late in the game when Brewer was penalised for pulling back a Wroxham forward.
The resulting penalty was tucked away by Morgan, giving the scorecard a biased look, especially as Acle's Chris Holmes had a shot hit the bar with Jackson well beaten and Chris Steele saw his effort come back off the far post.
But Acle congratulate Wroxham on their excellent season.