Acle hit derby rivals for six
Blofield United 2, Acle United 6ACLE hit high-flying Blofield for a derby six as both sides locked horns to keep the pressure on the top four teams in the quest for the Sterry Cup.
Blofield United 2, Acle United 6
ACLE hit high-flying Blofield for a derby six as both sides locked horns to keep the pressure on the top four teams in the quest for the Sterry Cup.
Acle ended Blofield's six-game winning streak thanks to a well-deserved hat-trick from the diminutive Nathan Thomson and one goal each from Dean Crosbie, Louis Holsworth and Ritchie Fruin.
After 28 minutes a free-kick taken by Ben Morgan was met by Thomson, out-jumping keeper Bonline and Cox and flicking home a delicate header.
Gareth Downes equalised, forcing home a Blofield free-kick.
The second half saw Acle click into gear as they upped the tempo with their hosts showing no sign of weathering the storm.
- 1 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 10 Obituary: 105-year-old who outlived eldest sibling by five months
Midfielder Dean Crosbie cleverly glanced home a header. After 20 minutes a Nicholls pile-driver hit the bar but fell for Thomson to put Acle
3-1 in front.
Thomson was again a thorn in Blofield's side as he headed in the fourth past a helpless keeper.
Blofield were given no respite and when they did manage to create anything they found Acle's defence in impressive form. However, McPhail escaped the shackles applied by Nobbs to score for Blofield.
Holsworth scored Acle's fifth with a header and the goal of the game came in the 90th minute when a half-cleared ball found Ritchie Fruin who hit home a first-time volley from 30 yards.
Acle manager Tony Ward stressed his pleasure at the victory and the dedication of the players on training nights and thanked the Blofield management for their congratulations.
Tomorrow, Acle entertain Brandon Town.