Acle host county bowls championships
NORFOLK'S Federation bowlers gathered at Acle BC on Sunday for the finals of the NCBA County Championships.After a full day's bowling the presentations to the winners were made by county president Bob Booth.
NORFOLK'S Federation bowlers gathered at Acle BC on Sunday for the finals of the NCBA County Championships.
After a full day's bowling the presentations to the winners were made by county president Bob Booth.
The day was also a time for reflection as a minute's silence was held in memory of Joe Hands. He had been involved in bowls in Norfolk for at least 25 years and for the last 10 years had been secretary and treasurer of the NCBA until he retired due to ill health. He was county president in 2006.
The funeral service is being held on Wednesday, July 30, at St Faiths Crematorium at 2.45pm.
The star turn at the county finals was Horsford bowler Wayne Burrage. He was involved in four finals and came away with three titles to his name.
Another multiple winner was Acle bowler Ray Meeks who was successful in the three bowls and mixed rinks.
- 1 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 2 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 3 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 6 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
The full results of the final were: Pairs, R and W Burrage 23, M Fox and C Francis 18; mixed pairs, P Dickenson and G Hewitt 21, H and W Burrage 13; over 65 pairs, J Hillman and B Harvey 19, J Rix and G Bullock 10; two bowl rinks, M Fox, J Harrison and C Francis 25, D Cole, C Barker and P Webb 10; three bowl rinks, J Mackie, P Batchelor and R Meeks 18, L Lane, J Batley and J Palmer 13; mixed rinks, B Meeks, G Reeve and R Meeks 23, C Barker, M Barker and A Rowsell 16; under 25 singles, D Johnson 21, A Reynolds 15; champion of champions singles, G Todhunter 21, I Wones 13; over 65 singles, M Leveritt 21, T Armes 20; secretaries singles, D Cole 21, A Clarke 11; two bowl singles, W Burrage 21, I Wones 18; four bowl singles, W Burrage 21, R Greef 14.
The winners go on to represent Norfolk at the EBF National Championships which are being held in Skegness in the week starting August 16.