Acle Ladies bow out of FA Cup after failing to build on early lead
- Credit: Archant
Acle United Ladies were knocked out of the SSE Women’s FA Cup after a 4-1 defeat against FAWPL side Stevenage.
Fullbrook in the Acle goal made an excellent early save, pushing the ball around the post from a well hit strike.
It took the visitors 10 minutes to create a chance but Bullard was beaten to the ball by the home keeper after a fine through ball from Rowland.
The Acle back four of Mungham-Gray, Pasque, Shields and Larkins were coping well with the home pressure and midway through the half Acle stunned the hosts by taking the lead. A ball from Rowland was left by the home defence and Bullard blocked the keeper’s clearance, with the ball looping into the goal.
A minute later, only a last gasp tackle prevented Kindred from a clear shot on goal after good work from Rowland and Todd.
The hosts hit back and eventually the pressure paid off. A quick break down the right saw Littlechild cut in and score into the top corner and five minutes later the hosts doubled their lead when a defensive mix-up allowed Emmings to net.
After the break only a goal-line clearance by Mungham-Gray prevented Stevenage from doubling their lead in the 50th minute and Acle keeper Fullbrook then tipped a free-kick over the bar as the hosts gained the upper hand.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
Stevenage scored their third goal just after the hour mark. Fullbrook pulled off a good save but the rebound was slotted home by McGuigan, who looked as if she could have been offside.
Straight from the kick-off Acle attacked down the right flank with the ball pulled back to Flatt, but the young midfielder’s shot was just wide of the target.
Most of the attacking play was coming from Stevenage and with seven minutes remaining they made the game safe when a shot by Logie was pushed onto the bar by Fullbrook and the rebound was netted by Makewell to give the hosts a slightly flattering 4-1 victory.
Team: C Fullbrook, A Larkins, O Mungham-Gray, A Rowland, K Pasque, C Shields, M Todd, C Flatt, K Kindred, L Bullard, N Cooper. Subs used: G Birchall, B Knights. Unused: J Hooper, J Copeman, V Hudson.
This Sunday the Acle are in cup action again when they travel to Emerald Park to face Gorleston in a second round Norfolk Women’s Cup game (1.30pm).