Acle Ladies left to rue a poor first half showing
- Credit: Archant
A below par first half performance saw Acle United Ladies return from Essex with a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Billericay Town on Sunday.
The visitors conceded a goal after just 35 seconds. A quick break down the right ended with Fullbrook tipping a shot around the post, but from the corner Billericay headed home.
With two minutes on the clock, the hosts doubled their lead. A long ball through the centre caught out the Acle defence and the home striker outpaced the rear-guard and slotted past a helpless Fullbrook.
Just before the half-hour mark, Billericay scored a third goal when a long ball over the Acle defence was chased down and the home striker lobbed the onrushing Fullbrook.
Four minutes before half-time a long-range shot flew into the top corner to give the hosts a 4-0 lead after a first half Acle would rather forget.
The visitors created the first chance of the second half with Flatt putting away Birchall whose cross was cleared under pressure from Kindred and Todd.
As the half progressed, Acle were starting to gain the ascendancy and Holden forced an error from the home defence and Todd pounced to shoot past the keeper. Minutes later, from a Birchall corner, Holden’s shot was deflected just past the post.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
It was all Acle with the hosts limited to counter-attacks and Kindred, Holden and Todd all forced the home keeper into good saves.
However, with 16 minutes remaining, Acle pulled another goal back. Todd chasing down a ball, outpaced the defender and placed the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs to complete her brace.
Dominating play, Acle pushed forward at every opportunity. Good link-up play from Birchall and Todd put in Holden but the shot grazed the outside of the post and then Birchall set up Rowland whose shot was well saved. More away pressure followed - but Basildon saw out the game.
Acle Ladies: S Fullbrook, N Cooper, O Mungham-Gray, C Flatt, K Pasque, C Shields, M Todd, A Rowland, L Holden, K Kindred, L Bullard. Subs used: G Birchall, B Scully, A Larkins. Unused: R Burton.
This Sunday the Ladies take a break from league action when the travel to face King’s Lynn Town in the third round of the ERWFL League Cup (2pm).