Acle Ladies open campaign with comprehensive away win
- Credit: PA
Acle returned from the long trip to AFC Dunstable with all three points after a comprehensive 5-1 victory on Sunday.
The visitors had five new signings in their squad, Cyan Fullbrook, Vicky Hudson, Erin Wilson, Kirstie Kindred and Ciera Flatt as they started the 2017-18 campaign.
The visitors deservedly went ahead just over halfway through the first half. A run and cross by Todd was deflected by a home player and the dropping ball was volleyed home by the Acle captain Burton.
On 40 minutes Burton whipped in a corner which was met by Rowland, who set up Todd, but the hosts’ keeper saved well. As the minutes ticked away toward the half-time whistle, Rowland found herself in the penalty area and after beating a defender, was brought down by the goalkeeper. Burton duly struck the ball into the roof of the net for her brace and to make it 2-0.
Acle came out the blocks quickest in the second half. They were having the majority of the play and territory and possession and both Kindred, Flatt and Todd went close to increasing the lead.
However just after the hour mark, Dunstable pulled a goal back.
As the game reached its latter stages, Acle extended their lead when Todd converted from a free-kick by Larkins, A minute later Todd doubled her tally. Chasing a through ball from Burton, she outpaced the home defence and slotted past the keeper.
- 1 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 2 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 5 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 6 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 7 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 8 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 9 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 10 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
In the final minute of normal time Burton competed her hat-trick, sweeping the ball into the goal at the far post after Larkins had crossed from the right.
Acle Ladies: C Fullbrook, E Wilson, V Hudson, C Shields, A Larkins, A Rowland, K Pasque, B Scully, L Bullard, R Burton, M Todd, Subs both used: C Flatt, K Kindred.
The ladies have a game fixture at their new home ground at The FDC at Flegg on Sunday (2pm).
Acle United men’s first team opened their Anglian Combination campaign with a 1-0 defeat at Caister on Tuesday night, with George Bamden getting the winner.
Acle travel to Harleston Town on Saturday with a 1.30pm kick-off while Caister, who had only taken one point from their opening two fixtures, are at Bradenham.
Acle Reserves are also on their travels with the long trek to Wells Town (2.30pm).