Acle Ladies pegged back after new signing opens scoring
- Credit: Archant
Acle United Ladies lost their chance to make ground on the top two after being held to a 1-1 draw by Royston Town on Sunday.
After last week’s inactivity and with almost a full squad to pick from, the hosts were able to name Naomi Cooper, a recent signing from Nottingham Forest, on the bench.
In wet and windy conditions, it was the visitors who had the first chance of the game, Hooper saving a header from a Royston free-kick, whilst at the other end, Todd put Bullard away on goal but her shot hit the side-netting.
Hooper was called into action again after 10 minutes, saving a one-on-one and then tipping a shot for a corner as the visitors pushed forward. However Todd almost put the hosts into the lead, shooting just wide after beating the away keeper to the ball just inside the penalty-area.
With around 10 minutes left before the break, debutant Cooper replaced Copeman and made an instant impact. Starting a move in her own half, which also involved Kindred and Todd, the Acle full-back’s shot beat the Royston keeper despite a good attempt to save it.
Buoyed by taking the lead, it was the hosts’ turn to hold the upper hand but Todd and Bullard failed to convert half chances and Acle went into the interval with a slender 1-0 lead.
Within three minutes of the restart, the visitors had equalised, the home defence allowing the Royston striker too much space and the ball being fired into the top corner.
- 1 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 2 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 8 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 9 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 10 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
The hosts missed a good chance to take the lead after from a throw-in saw Rowland put Todd away but the Acle striker shot into the side-netting when a square ball to Burton or Kindred may have been a better option.
The hosts continued to push forward and the Royston keeper was forced into action, saving shots from Holden, Todd and Kindred.
Royston had a great chance to steal all three points but their striker fired wide with just Hooper to beat, before both keepers made late saves.
Acle Ladies: J Hooper, J Copeman, O Mungham-Gray, B Scully, K Pasque, A Larkins, M Todd, C Flatt, K Kindred, A Rowland, L Bullard. Subs used: L Holden, N Cooper, R Burton, C Shields. Unused: C Fullbrook.
On Sunday Acle travel to Chelmsford to face leaders Writtle (2pm).